We have lots of things to
blame thank the Kardashian-Jenners for. From exposed corsets to latex dresses to clear boots to contouring and even the reemergence of chain mail. But perhaps the most pervasive trend on the street style front is bike shorts. While bike shorts popped back up on the Spring 2018 runways at shows like Nina Ricci and Off-White, Kim Kardashian really brought the trend to the fashion masses after repeatedly stepping out in the clingy bottoms. Teaming them with everything from hoodies and long coats to sports bras for full athleisure vibes, Kim even inspired the rest of her klan to get on board.
So we weren’t surprised to see street style pros sporting cycle shorts as they darted to and fro from the Spring 2019 shows this month. Expanding on Kim’s styling choices, they’ve proven that the shorts are surprisingly versatile and that you can ride the trend into fall. Even Gigi Hadid has recently embraced bike shorts by wearing them several times in one week. And you’ll get plenty of mileage out of them since bike shorts made numerous appearances on the Spring 2019 runways, so they’ll still be in play after winter’s over.
If you’re looking for less constrictive sporty shorts, gym shorts have also risen in popularity. We saw longer, laid-back varieties and tiny running shorts being paired with crop tops, blazers and hoodies from the street style set during men’s fashion week through the current batch of shows. An added bonus to all these short comings? You can use both types as workout wear until the temps go back up. Here are few styling tips to help you get the look…
– When sporting skin-tight black bike shorts, make sure your colorful sweater is oversized, even if it’s just the sleeves.
– Bike shorts are also the not-so-secret weapon for those who love sheer dresses and skirts.
– Make bike shorts more season-appropriate by teaming them with a turtleneck layered under a statement blazer, preferably in plaid. Go ahead and belt the blazer if you want a more streamlined silhouette.
– Slip on your new puff-sleeve blouse and pair it with black bike shorts to make the top stand out even more.
– Nothing could be easier than adding a hoodie over your basic black bike shorts. Just make sure you pick one in a bright color or pattern to keep things from looking a bit blah.